Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Brownies

Happy wintery Wednesday! Last night's low in Richmond, VA was near 17 degrees and it's finally warmed up to 25 degrees. Surprising even myself, I made it to last night's workout with the rest of Seal Team PT, and plan to be back outside again tonight! 

Boyfriend will tell you how ridiculous I am with cold weather; i.e. I never just walk outside. I'll run to my car, into a restaurant or store; I'm constantly pouting...and leaving him in the dust. So how have I found the mental strength and courage to keep working out outside this week? For one, I'm paying a lot to do it. More than that, there's something about inhaling the crisp winter air that makes me feel like I'm really living.

And, all BS aside, there's also dessert...like these brownies.

There are a ton of super delicious peanut butter brownies out there. Heck, I've even made a few. But then you add in the word "cookie dough" and my knees go weak. Yes, there are actually a ton of peanut butter cookie dough brownies out there too, which only confirms what I'm saying. [Eggless] cookie dough is a wonderful thing!

To me, though, peanut butter cookie dough isn't peanut butter cookie dough unless it looks a peanut butter cookie. Criss-cross fork tines and all. It requires a bit more effort than a pan of normal frosted brownies, but the end result is worth it (and totally makes up for my ugly brownies).

While the brownies bake, you assemble to cookie dough. Allow the brownies to cool off just a tid-bit, then get to work rolling and smoosh the cookie dough on top. I used a 1 1/2 tablespoon scoop for the 3 cookies x 3 cookies grid, then took the remaining dough to fill in the gaps with smaller cookie shapes. Unlike my chocolate chip cookie dough brownies, this method results in a thinner (perfect) layer of dough. It is a brownie, after all.




I loved these brownies cold, straight from my fridge; but they are also amazing heated with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I originally placed them in the fridge to help them cool down faster and keep the cookie dough in place, but I assume they can be stored at room temperature too.

My guess is, though, that you won't have to worry about storing them for long.



Wouldn't YOU workout in below freezing temperatures for one of these?



I thought so.










Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Brownies
Brownies Adapted from Sweet Pea's Kitchen
Cookie Dough Adapted from Brown-Eyed Baker

Servings: 9 large brownies

(One Bowl) Brownies
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour

PB Cookie Dough
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1-3 tablespoons milk
1 cup flour
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper or tin foil so that it slightly overhangs on all edges. Spray paper or foil with non-stick spray.
  • In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter and chocolate chips. Remove from heat and stir in sugar until combined. Add eggs and vanilla. 
  • Next, mix in cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Finally add flour, stirring until just combined (taking care not to over-mix). Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean with a few crumbs.
  • While brownies are baking, beat together butter, peanut butter, and sugar in the bowl of a standing mixer. Add vanilla and 2 tablespoons milk. Once fully incorporated, add in flour. Dough should be thick, but malleable. You want the consistency to be slightly thicker than frosting so that it can be rolled and shaped. Add more milk if needed.
  • Allow brownies to cool for about 5-10 minutes before topping with cookie dough (You want the brownies to be warm enough to allow the dough to stick). Using a 1 1/2 tablespoon cookie scoop--or your estimation and ball-shaping skills--equally space out 9 scoops of dough on brownies. Take a fork and press down each mound to create the traditional "pb cookie" effect. Equally divide remaining dough into 12 small balls and place in the remaining gaps surrounding the big cookie mounds. Repeat the "forking". 
  • If oven is still warm, return brownies to oven for another 5 minutes to allow the dough to better adhere. Place pan of brownies in fridge for about 1 hour or until completely cooled. Cut and serve.

7 comments:

  1. Ok...yum.yum.yum! Can't I just have one and skip working out too?! I'm glad someone else is a cold weather pouter too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh these look so good! I might have to make these soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should! And you could definitely simplify the process by using boxed brownies (but homemade brownies aren't hard, you could do it!!!).

      Delete
  3. Ohhhh my gosh these look absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete