|Water under the bridge |
(El Yunque Rainforest)
This week, I've finally found some time to fully reflect on my 2012 goals and start assembling a new list for 2013, which I'm even more excited about! While I may have not met all of last year's goals, I think I was able to accomplish a good amount for one year! (Not?) surprisingly, I seemed to have been more successful in my food goals than personal goals...Priorities, priorities...
Here's my 2012 in review:
- Use the following strange ingredients in a dessert (separately) - I successfully made two dessert from the strange ingredients listed. Seeing as pomegranate is in season, I'm hoping to tackle that dessert within the upcoming month or so!
- Garbanzo beans - here
Black beans Pomegranate
- Can something (e.g. homemade tomato sauce, a fruit jam or butter) - Ok, no "official" canning occurred in 2012. It requires a good amount of time and supplies! Also, wouldn't it be better for me to perfect a recipe before going through the trouble of canning? The marinara sauce I made this year turned out well, but it wasn't enough for me to go through the trouble of canning since I managed to use it all within a matter of weeks.
- Make homemade - I managed to make half of the items in this category!
- Hummus - I made pumpkin hummus for my cookie party this winter, but I didn't post the recipe because I think I still needs some work. Good news is that I've done it!
- Chocolate syrup - I made this recipe from Annie's Eats. It was super easy and (from what I can tell) keeps for months! I've enjoyed it on sundaes and in my coffee for a special treat :)
- Gnocchi - here (pictured below)
- Master blueberry pancakes a la Home Kitchen - An ambitious goal indeed! I started the year off strong, making pancakes what felt like every-other weekend. Unfortunately, that pattern quickly ended. There are still a number of pancake methods I'd like to try out (yeast, self-rising flour), which I hope to tackle this year. One day, I will become "Pancake Master".
- Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes, Recipe 1 (Smitten Kitchen) - here
- Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes, Recipe 2 (What's Cookin', Chicago?) - here
- Blueberry Oatmeal Pancakes (Closet Cooking) - here
- Blueberry Yogurt Multigrain Pancakes (Annie's Eats) - not posted
- Cook a vegan meal with friends twice a month - Well, we were consistent for a while...then people started moving (including me). Here are some of the meals we made:
- Quinoa Mac'n Cheese (with Daiya) and apple crisp
- Locate my favorite breakfast restaurant in Richmond - You can view all the reviews I've posted here. I had breakfast or brunch at about 20 places in Richmond, and plan to continue posting away in 2013! Brunchin' is a lifestyle! (Reviews focus on the quality of what makes a great breakfast place great [to me]: coffee, pancakes and/or french toast, bacon, biscuits, and sausage gravy.)
- Run in 3 races (at a minimum) -
Monument 10K- I registered, but didn't get to run this because of work (which I was SUPER disappointed about!).
- Run for the Dream 8K- Completed, and I was totally surprised by my finishing time. Such an awesome feeling :)
- Maymont X-Country Festival 8 Mile Trail Run - I ran this last year and was disappointed to find out that it's overall a slower-paced run due to narrow trails. This year I was mentally prepared and improved my time by ~1 minute a mile!
Volunteer more- Ok, this goal wasn't a great example at being specific and attainable. Because of it, I have to admit that I totally failed here. I helped advise the Phi Mu Chapter at The College of William & Mary in the spring; however, my volunteer efforts were nonexistent in the summer and fall. Consistently attend mass- Catholics don't lie, so I'm just going to come out and say that this goal certainly did not happen, as in I went maybe 4 times this year. Total. And only because I was either at home with my family or it was a holiday. Donate blood- Yet another incomplete...
- Make moves for the future - This goal had to do with wanting to go to business school and/or coming up with a life backup plan in order to force me to do something NEW in Fall 2013. Now here's a dose of real honesty: Wouldn't you know that I feel even further away from my future professional self than I did this time last year? That's right, I have no goal or plan. And it's terrifying. I was, however, able to make a literal move this past fall to Richmond. I suppose its better to be aimless in a city, than aimless in the suburbs. Meaning: I'm not counting this as a totally unmet goal! :)
There you have it! I'll be announcing my 2013 goals next week!